Sunday 7 December 2014

Mushrooms



I'm a Libran, I love long walks on the beach, sunsets and candle-lit conversations about French films. I'm a conundrum wrapped in an enigma, surrounded by mystery, an irregular mata hari. Okay, okay... for reals now.

Wannabe free spirit blessed (or cursed) with a healthy dose of pragmatism and an unhealthy dose of cynicism. Family is everything to me. I'm a homebody, but when I can drag myself out of the house, I love to have a good time.

These are a few of my favourite things:
Reading and watching black comedies.
Baking and cooking and trying out new eateries.
Travelling (like everyone else here).
Crafty DIY stuff that never really turn out like how they're supposed to.
Animals, especially dogs. I've wanted a border collie of my very own for the longest time.
Oh yeah, I also... um... like listening to music. Groundbreaking.

I've always been a bit leery of this online dating but oh well... So, ride forth on your white horse and save me from becoming a crazy cat lady.

Just kidding, I can save myself, but a ride would be nice.

TL;DR: Feminist, humanist, cunning linguist and unabashed odd duck.
What I’m doing with my life
I'm pretty sure I'm the second coming of Mother Teresa and Princess Diana combined. [Read] I'm still searching for my purpose in life. In the meantime I work in Publishing and actually enjoy my job. I'm also seriously contemplating pursuing a Masters in yet another useless discipline.

I've been bitten by the travel bug (just like everyone else). I'm hopeless with directions but I'm funny (at least, that's what my mom tells me) and fearless. I'm attempting to scale the Everest Base Camp next June, preferably without dying en route, so I'm workin' on my fitness and trying to survive Bikram Yoga sessions. I also like, really want to visit Egypt, Morocco, Paris and Turkey soon.

I'm thinking of picking up a musical instrument. Would the ukelele be too twee?
I’m really good at
Majoring in minors, making mountains out of molehills, finding silver linings, parroting cliches, listening to other people's problems, procrastinating, baking the best butter cakes, making schedules (and never sticking to them), making the perfect roast chicken dinner, not making up my mind, keeping a level head, fiddling with stuff and fixing stuff. Nailed it.

The first things people usually notice about me
I'd like to say my smile, but who am I kidding? Boobs.
Favorite books, movies, shows, music, and food
SPOILER ALERT: Unapologetic pop culture geek, so strap in.

Books: One Big Damn Puzzler, The God of Small Things, Good Omens, 1984, One Hundred Years of Solitude, Lolita, the Harry Potter Series, The Poisonwood Bible, Kafka on the Shore, Brave New World, A Thousand Splendid Suns, Life of Pi, Slaughterhouse Five, most stuff by Sue Townsend, Terry Pratchett, Neil Gaiman and loads more.

Poetry: Stuff by Frost, Poe, Wilde, T S Eliot (The Wasteland was my jam in my teens, yo) and the Rubaiyat.

Movies: Veers from cult favourites to quirky (ugh!) Indie films to brainless Romcoms. What? I don't discriminate, cos ya know, to discriminate only generates hate... I enjoy Black Comedies, Horror and Zombie Horror Comedies. Some all-time favourites include Beetlejuice, Edward Scissorhands,The Heathers, The Craft and the Witches of Eastwick. Are you seeing a pattern here?

I also love Hot Fuzz, Harold and Kumar Go to White Castle, Amelie, The Royal Tenenbaums, KungFu Hustle, the LOTR trilogy, Chungking Express, Kill Bill, Barfi!, Zoolander *shamefaced*, V for Vendetta, Big Fish, Donnie Darko, The Big Lebowski, Tim Burton's older work, most stuff by Simon Pegg, Quentin Tarantino, Mani Ratnam, Wong Kar Wai, Wes Anderson and James Wan.

Shows: Huge Joss Whedon fan. Buffy, Firefly, Pushing Daisies, Daria, Breaking Bad, American Horror Story, Archer, 30 Rock, Arrested Development, Weeds, Heroes, Game of Thrones, The Mindy Project. Veronica Mars, Whose Line Is It Anyway?, Community, Hannibal (criminally under-watched), Scrubs, Wonderfalls, The Daily Show, Misfits, Psych (criminally underrated), Sherlock, Shameless and Dexter. Kat Dennings is my current girl crush and Daria is my spirit animal.

Music: Depends on my mood really... Train, Dave Matthews Band, Niyaaz, Oasis, stuff from A R Rahman, Queen, The Beatles, Jason Mraz, some Country, LMFAO, Bruno Mars, the kind of Indie bands that make it to the Top 40 lists, the Goo Goo Dolls, Adele, Coldplay, Mumford and Sons, Macklemore and right now, I'm obsessed with Joe Purdy.

Food: A steaming plate of really good pasta and anything with too much spice, mushrooms and cheeeeese.

Wait... now what are we going to talk about on our first date?

The six things I could never do without
My parents, food, clothing, shelter, the Internet, a good book and a good bra. That's six, right?

I spend a lot of time thinking about
How to save the world, engineer world peace, end poverty and gender inequality, and the past and chocolate.
Oh, and also why so many OkC names have the word "taco" in them.
On a typical Friday night I am
Where I am everyday, at the gym. Jk.
At home and online. Sigh... Although, not so much recently ;)

The most private thing I’m willing to admit
I worry might be a late-in-life hipster but I'm pretty sure I'm not cool enough to qualify.

Pogonophile.

At any point in time, there's a pretty good chance that Chinese Chicken is playing in my head.
You should message me if
You are really rich and and good-looking.
Jk.

You're a gentleman and a scholar and an all-around decent dude or dudette. That's it really, I'm pretty chill.

No comments:

Post a Comment